Jammie Thomas was fined $2 million for downloading 24 songs.
1. Child abduction: the fine is only like $25000.
2. Stealing the actual CD: the fine is $2,500
3. Rob your neighbor: the fine is $375,000
4. Burn a house down: The fine is just over $375,000
5. Stalk someone: The fine is $175,000
6. Start a dogfighting ring: the fine is $50,000
7. Murder someone: The maximum penalty is only $25,000 and 15 years in jail, and depending on your yearly salary, would probably be far slighter a penalty that $2 million.
This shows how backwards our society can be. It’s a good thing the labels won’t be around for much longer, and a good thing that illegal downloading will become irrelevant. If you didn’t already know, we(Beat-Play) have theoretically solved these problems. Now we’re working on the web software prototype that will finally make all of this mean completely nothing to independent or signed artists. If you want to know how it works, go here.